When you have a wholesome, hearty and easy vegan recipe, your Saturday brunch date goes up a notch. Vegan food is all the rage these days and for the right reasons. From being rich in nutrients, reducing the risk of diabetes and hypertension to other countless benefits, a vegan meal plan is at par with a healthier lifestyle.
Your list of vegan meals has a new addition!
This Vegan Beetroot Burger is one of the simplest vegan recipes that helps you lose weight, keeps your blood pressure in check and fills up your appetite.
Loaded with essential nutrients, beetroots are a great source of vitamins, minerals and plant compounds that have significant health benefits. What’s more, they are low in calories and have been linked to the improvement of digestive health, brain health and helps in fighting inflammation. We could go on with the benefits, but let’s get cooking!
Let’s get into how to make this delicious recipe to add to your personalized vegan diet which also includes a low-cal healthy sauce.
Ingredients for Burger
2 grated raw peeled beetroots
¾ cup large flake rolled oats
½ cup cooked lentils
½ cup flour
½ onion, finely chopped
2 cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 onion, cut in disks
1 tomato, cut in disks
2 burger buns
Ingredients for Tangy Green Chutney & Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
1 cup Coriander leaves
½ cup Mint leaves
2 green chillies
1 teaspoon chaat masala
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 red bell peppers
1½ tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove, chopped
½ teaspoon sugar or as per taste
Green chutney can be swapped for a delicious Red Pepper home-made Sauce that goes well with this vegan dinner recipe for the perfect date night in.
Preparation of Burger & Green Chutney
1. Peel and grate beetroots. Add the remaining ingredients (onion, garlic, clove, oats, flour, lentils, all spices and salt) with the grated beetroots into the blender.
2. Mould into even patties, so that it cooks evenly onto a frying pan for 3-5 mins per side.
3. Place it in between your scooped out burgers (by removing the excess white part of the bread to make it low in carbs)
4. Blend mint, coriander leaves, cumin, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, green chillies in your grinder with 1-2 teaspoon of water until it’s smooth. Keep adding water as required.
5. Add disks of tomato, onion and lettuce on top of the patty with a lathered layer of the tasty home-made chutney.
Preparation of Red Pepper Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Bake bell peppers till the skin has blackened. When it cools down, remove skin and seeds. Roughly dice the peppers.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan. Fry garlic cloves and onions till golden brown. Add peppers, stir for a few mins. Pour vegetable stock into the mix, till it comes to a boil and reduces.
3. Empty the content into a blender and blend till the mixture is fine. Add sugar as per taste. Spread onto your Beetroot burger and enjoy!
P.S. For people looking to opt for even healthier alternatives, will be glad to know that this recipe can be enjoyed even without the bread altogether. Spread the chutney on the beetroot patty. Add onion, tomato, and lettuce. Also Cheese, if needed. Top it off with another beetroot patty and your vegan burger is ready to be savoured!
Add this to your list of vegan dinner ideas to spice things up when the veggie burger cravings hit!