Its it’s a well known fact that Extra Virgin Olive oil or EVOO as we popularly see on the supermarket label is great for our health. But what is also a fact is that olive oil has numerous skin benefits as well.
Olive oil is cold pressed from olives, the fruit of olive oil trees and because no heat or chemical solvents are used to extract the oil, its rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and monosaturated fatty acid called oleic acid. It primarily makes up for almost 73% of total oil content. Studies have suggested that these essential fatty acids help in reducing inflammation.
Sounds interesting ? Good! We have listed the top 6 skin benefits of EVOO and how to buy the best olive oil in the market.
1. Olive oil is rich in monosaturated fats that help in reducing skin inflammation. It helps soothing skin redness associated with eczema, rosacea and acne.
2. Olive oil is rich in powerful antioxidants like oleocanthal and it contains a decent amount of vitamins E,A,D and K. This helps to fight inflammation and free radical damage to the skin. When applied directly to skin, the antioxidants may help prevent premature againg. Try putting olive on on skin after sun exposure to reduce the risk of skin cancer.
3. Olive oil has anti bacterial properties. It contains nutrients that kills the harmful bacteria and may help control the bacteria on the skin. It also helps in improving skin healing.
4. A natural moisturizer, olive oil has great benefits for both skin and hair. When used on hair it helps in deeply conditioning it and giving it a smooth natural shine.
5. Olive oil helps break down any water resistant substances found in make up products. Instead of drying soaps or cleansers try using this oil next time to remove stubborn make up. Just add a few drops of olive oil to a cotton pad and gently swipe the face and eye area.
6. Olive oil, because its loaded with antioxidants , helps in skin cell regeneration. Apply it with lemon juice to the area scarred with pigmentation as it may help in reducing the hyperpigmentation and scarring over a period of time.
HOW TO GET THE RIGHT TYPE OF OLIVE OIL
Buying the right kind of olive oil is extremely important. Be warned that there is a lot of fraud on the olive oil market, as many oils that read “extra virgin” on the label have been diluted with other refined oils
Extra virgin olive oil retains some of the antioxidants and bioactive compounds from olives. Hence it’s considered healthier than refined olive oil or pomace oil.
It is always a good idea to read ingredients lists and check for quality certification.
A good quality EVOO looks and tastes different than refined olive oils.